Friday, November 14, 2008

It’s the theee-ah-ter dahling




The other night I saw “The Drowsy Chaperone” at the surprisingly beautiful 5th Avenue Theater in Seattle. It's a very tongue-in-cheek commentary on musicals, and the woman who played Georgeanne in "Mary Tyler Moore" is in it. It’s really a cute, quirky little play and if it comes near you I highly recommend it.


The first live play I saw live was “The King and I” at the Fisher Theater in downtown Detroit. Yule Brenner was in it and I still remember sitting on the edge of my seat, enchanted and entranced. I was hooked on the stage.

I was almost an actress. I sang in choir and preformed in school musicals and acted in plays at the Farmington Community Theater. My parents used to call me Helen Hayes sometimes, but I later found out that was due to my tendency towards tears and the overly dramatic, and not necessarily my acting abilities.

Instead of acting, I went into something safer...radio broadcasting. Theater of the mind they call it. Life is a stage and we are all actors, said Mr. Shakespeare. Heck, waiting tables was acting. Showtime began when my first table sat, turn on 'da charm to rake in 'dem tips.

Everyone loves watching people singin’ and a swayin’. Don’t believe me? Then why are “Dancing with the Stars” and “American Idol” consistently number one in the T.V ratings?

That’s showbiz kid, that’s showbiz. ☺

No comments: