Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Plane Thoughts



Thoughts from the other night, while flying SEA-EWR...

I think I’ve mentioned before, when talking about cities or traveling, I write in "airport talk" sometimes. SEA- is Seattle obviously; EWR is Newark, which is not so apparent, etc, etc) Chalk it up to the fact that I am easily influenced by others and have several friends who work in the airline industry. Plus, I honestly think any sort of code or abbreviate is cool. I am all about LOL or BRB or my fave TTYL.

We were in our old ‘Joisey neck o’ the woods over the weekend, attending the wedding of some friends of ours, a good Polish girl from Bayonne, and a good ol' Irish Jersey City firefighter. Yes, full Catholic mass and do the math on how much liquor was consumed. Ha Ha.

Another story for another day, but you can take the girl out of Jersey, but man, that Jersey does not budge from the girl.

At any rate, when I'm flying, especially on the long flights, I tend to write a lot, and usually come up with some pretty good ideas. I have bushels of things started; the rub is getting them finished. It's amazing how much gets done while wedged in a plane. Perhaps having nowhere to go for hours on end settles me into the mode. Something I try to replicate when on the ground, but I'm not able to get the same affect. The phone and internet work down here, and I can open the fridge.

I feel important while writing on a plane. I know people are glancing at me now and again, wondering if I am working on the next great American novel. Truth is, I am probably writing about them, because another thing flying causes in a lot of people is the “Center of the Universe” syndrome.

Which leads me to:
Recovering DJ’s Top 3 Flying Pet Peeves
  • People who hog up the aisle while fussing with their massive luggage
It never ceases to amaze me how someone will hold up all the passengers behind them while they fuss for eons with their luggage, for hours (ok it’s only minutes, but it seems like forever.)
  • People who lean to far back in their seat
Your head is in my knee lady, and seriously I will kick your seat like a two-year old if this continues
  • People who talk soooo loud to their seatmate
Dude, she’s right next to you and even she doesn’t care about your exploits on the golf course, let alone the whole plane. You're why we don't want cell phones allowed.

I know only 3? Well, the middle seat was vacant!!!, so the ride was much more luxurious than usual, so I’m feelin’ a bit generous.

It’s the little things that keep us going.

And speakin' of keepin' us going, like to give a shout out to all the Veterans out there today, new an old. We should all have a quick happy thought for the the brave peeps who keep us safe, so we can sit and blog about minutia.

Cheers!

No comments: