Friday, October 10, 2008

It's a Costume Stupid


Song of the Day-"Dress You Up-Madonna

I don’t normally think about Halloween 3 weeks early, but anything to stop dwelling on the stupid economy. And this Great Pumpkin picture my friend sent me yesterday got me in the mood.

My Halloween costumes trend eclectic.  My creations are generally very “punny”. I get a lot of “What are you s’pose to be?” inquiries.

For example, one year in Jersey City, our local establishment was having a Halloween Costume Contest.  We decided to go at the last minute.  I grabbed a large white plastic garbage bag and went to check it out. 

Just before the contest started, I headed to the bathroom to primp with a bunch of girls dressed to the hilt as the entire Strawberry Shortcake gang. Elaborate costumes that took weeks to make, hours and hours of makeup-every detail attended to, carefully perfected,

I put a hole in my white garbage bag, poked my head threw and headed towards the contest.

“What are you suppose to be”, inquired one of Strawberry’s cronies.

“White Trash”, I said nonchalantly.

The Shortcakes’ rolled their over-painted eyes and snorted.  They thought they were ringers for the contest winnings and I just boosted their confidence.  Needless to say, there was a minor protest and ruckus from the ‘cakes when I took the 2nd place prize.

Some other Pun with Halloween Costumes

Sand Witch

Dress up in black, pour glue all over yourself and roll in sand. Wear any other witch accessories if you’d like.  This ruined all the black clothes I wore that night, but it was worth it.

Blacked Eyed Susan

With dark make-up; completely black out an eye.  (I added “ make-up” because I don’t one anyone trying to punch out his or her own eye!)

Dress in yellow if you can and make some kind of head covering that looks like petals. 

Oh and get a name tag that says, “Hello, my name is Susan”.   The year I went as this, a lot of people thought I was the Statue of Liberty, I guess because of the flower hat and all.  Sometimes people don’t get it.  I guess we all can’t be on my train of thought.

Black Eyed Pea

Dress in all green; completely blacken one of your eyes. I wanted my husband to go as this the year I was a Black Eyed Susan but he refused.  

You could also pin a picture of Will. i. am or Fergie to yourself for overkill.   I completely believe in Halloween overkill.

More Dress Up Ideas

I never did any of these, but I think they are GENIUS!

Weather

Dress up in all blue.  Cover yourself with large mounds of cotton.  Carry a water gun. 

When asked, “What are you?” 

“Partly cloudy”, you say.

And then squirt them with your handy water pistol.

And say, “With a chance of rain!”  

Ziploc Finger Guy

This is from a few years ago; a finger character was as a spokesperson to close plastic bags in commercials.  Take a black market and draw a simple two eye dots and a half circle smiley face on your index finger. Dress normally. 

When someone asks what you’re suppose to be just put up your finger.  A little lame but good if you aren’t a Halloweeny person at all and get dragged somewhere last minute.

The Cereal Killer

And of course, the classic Pun Costume, we’ve all seen it before. Cereal boxes stuck all over your body with knifes and fake blood coming out of them.  Wish I had thought of this one!

1 comment:

Gaylia Wagner said...

Another good costume idea in the same vein - one year a friend of mine dressed all in green and tied two plastic pink flamingos around her waist. What was she? A lawn.