Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wednesday TV

This week's television recommendations continue....

Wednesday aren't really a "good night" for TV traditionally in the Recovering DJ household, unless "Lost" is on. But I've stumbled across two shows that might not be completely horrible sitcoms. Half hour comedies that aren't "Seinfeld" but they might be able to fill the vast void for a moment Jerry and the gang left behind.

Modern Family

A quirky show featuring a few veteran TV Actors Like Ed O'Neill of "Married with Children" a show I wasn't really fond of, and Julie Bowen of the underrated "Ed" and a wide variety of other shows. The family consists of Ed O'Neill and his new young wife and son, his daughter and her family and his son and his partner.

I've only watched the pilot, but there were some funny bits involving cream puffs and disciplining a child that shot his sister with a BB gun. I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time.



Cougar Town

A wink, wink, nudge nudge at the whole "cougar" phenomenon, in which older women seduce younger men...I myself just get exhausted thinking about it. I think the town high school has a cougar for a mascot too. At any rate, not being the biggest fan of Courteney Cox, I do give her credit for being the hardest working of the "Friend's" since that show ended...another sitcom that has stood the test of time, and that seems to escape imitation, although very often it is indeed hopelessly emulated.

Again, only watched the pilot but the show had some surprisingly funny moments. For me personally there was a bit of an ick factor. But that's just me. It's one of those shows that might hang on these days, because...well there isn't really anything else.

Cute trivia from IMDB: The show is set in Florida. With the exception of the pilot, season 1 episodes are named after Tom Petty songs, Mr. Petty being a Floridian and all, I think it's pretty funny...and it's the little things like this that will keep me watching. I'm pretty easily amused like that.

No comments: