Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday Moonin’

Even though at the time, I was as big as a raindrop, I do remember it, I swear I do. Perched upon my Dad’s shoulders in our old backyard, my eyes following his finger that was pointing at the moon.

"A man just landed there", said my science and science fiction loving pop in a tone of serene reverence.

I nodded, my small, undeveloped soul sensing the seriousness of such an auspicious moment.

I would spend many years after that, staring at the sky, seeking a glimpse of the guy walking on the moon. I would also think the moon looked like a smiling man, and would wonder if I got it wrong.

In honor of the 4oth anniversary of the first and only moonwalk...

The Recovering DJ’s top 7 Moon Songs
(to be listened to eating Crescent Rolls & Moon Pies, tee hee)

1-Man on the Moon-REM

References Andy Kaufman... which reminds me of a company I worked at for a minute during my Manhattan days that was co-owned my Andy’s brother. Which really has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that I just thought I'd bring it up.

2-Walking on the Moon-The Police


3-Whole of the Moon-The Waterboys

It's taken me over 20 years to tolerate this song.

4-Fly Me to the Moon-Frank Sinatra

This is the version I’m most familiar with as it was played for me over and over again on a pub jukebox until I agreed to speak to a certain someone after a disagreement.
There’s also a groovy version from “Down with Love” by Astrud Gilberto.

5-C’ Moon (Cry Like a Baby)-Simple Minds

One of those bands I forget how much I love

6-New Moon On Monday-Duran Duran

7-Moondance-Van Morrison

Good, warm summer time music

Now go have some Crescent Rolls!

1 comment:

Tom Gruich said...

Very enjoyable read - nicely done - I remember those exact moments sooooo many years ago.

Dad