Wednesday, December 3, 2008

We need a little Christmas, right this very minute


Song of the Day

"We Need a Little Christmas"-Various Artists

There are two things that I've lugged around during my many moves- a box of records (the vinyl kind that contain musical recordings) and my big blue Rubbermaid box o’ Xmas.

Yes Ginny, I’m a Chris Missy person.

You either are or aren’t a Xmas person, to varying degrees. Some people aren’t into Christmas for religious reasons, or they think they’re too cool for the room, that’s ok. But some people are just plain mean and hateful and those are the ones that need a little Xmas.

I fight it. Sometimes I say I’m not opening the box, it’s too much trouble. Things are tough, the world is in shambles, Christmas is for kids, blah blah blah…

Which is precisely when we need a little Christmas right this very minute.

My Christmas addiction isn’t really the religious sort, much to my mother’s chagrin. But it’s that concept of good. Of the brightness that shines in all of us, no matter how tarnished the world makes us.

Monet liked to paint what he called “momentary qualities of light” and that’s what Christmas is to me. Those little moments that make life just a little more bearable and enable us to trudge on.

Plus it’s the one time of year you’re allowed to hang shiny shiny lights everywhere.

When you feel good, you make others feel good. You give a smile and a “Hi” to the cashier at Rite Aide as opposed to a curt nod. She is nicer to the cranky old man behind you who in turn is actually a tad kind to the next person he comes across.

That’s what Christmas is all about Charlie Brown.



P.S......

Did you know that “We need a little Christmas” is from musical “Mame”? I always thought it was in an animated Christmas special.

"Momentary qualities of light" is the title I have chosen for my great Amercian novel, or at least a short story that the "New Yorker" will publish...whenever I get around to writing it.)

No comments: